Sunday, 30 October 2011
The Safest City: Calgary
These months I've been studying in Calgary and I'm enjoying my life here because I can do many things that in other countries is a risky to do. For example, everyday when I take the C-Train I use my laptop or Ipad freely without fear that someone steals. In contrast, it's impossible to do that in Caracas because there are many thefts on any public transit systems. Simple things, such as walking around the downtown using my smartphone while in my city had been victim of mugging. In Calgary I see as many people remotely turn on your car or if they will go to a supermarket for a few minutes left on his car turn on in front it. This for me is a joke because in my country people leave their cars always with any security device active and still they say that they not know if when return the car will be there. Still worse than when they are in the car could be victim of carjacking because the trauma of these types of thefts is strong. In addition, I always read the news and in this city the crime rate is incredibly low while Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. In fact, it's not a good example to compare these two cities because the difference in safety is great. However I have visited many other cities of this continent and from my experience I have come to the conclusion that Calgary is the safest city I've known.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never thought that it could be dangerous to use a smartphone in a public place! I guess we take it for granted here. Still, I think most people in Calgary are careful to lock their doors and keep a close eye on their bags.
ReplyDeleteCorrections:
In contrast, it's impossible to do that in Caracas because there are many thefts on any public transit systems.
In addition, I always read the news and in this city the crime rate is incredibly low while Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.